A closer look into a pBAM file:
- This is a manipulation on Binary Alignment Files (BAM).
- Works with the majority of trhe functions of SAMtools (exclusions are due to removal of SEQ, CIGAR, and QUAL fields), and other tools that work on BAM files.
- Works well with many functional genomics pipelines, including STAR signal track (STAR), RSEM gene expression and quantification (RSEM), and MACS2 (MACS2) for ChIP-seq peak calling.
- The original BAM does not need to be stored. Rather, a smaller file called .diff can be safely stored for sensitive information in the BAM file.
- Any BAM file can be converted to pBAM using these codes.
- pBAM files can be combined with the appropriate .diff file and reference genome to re-create the BAM file using these codes.
An example pBAM file:
Can be directly downloaded.